I became serious about painting after I retired from nursing. My introduction to pastels happened at a Plein Air workshop with Stanley Maltzman in Bend, Oregon. Mr. Maltzman is an artist from the Hudson Valley Region of New York and during that week I fell in love with pastels. Since then I have had the opportunity to take workshops from a number of wonderful pastel artists: Kim Lordier, Teresa Saia, Brenda Boylan, Marla Baggetta, and Susan Kuznitsky. These artists, as well as others, have inspired me with their passion, talent, creativity and generous spirit.
I paint for fun and am attracted to a variety of subjects, whatever catches my eye or has meaning for me. I happen to live in a beautiful scenic area and see picture possibilities every day as I walk or drive: mountains, farms, birds, sunrises, sunsets, the ocean, the light hitting a construction site and people. I generally use my own reference pictures. Painting has opened my eyes to the light and color in the landscape and the beauty in the ordinary.
- Lynden Washington “Painted Bike Project” 2019.
- Northwest Pastel Society 32nd Internation Show, American Art Company, Tacoma, WA 2019
- Jansen Art Center Winter Juried Show, Lynden, WA 2018
- Northwest Pastel Society Member Show, Kirkland, WA 2018
- Pacific Northwest Pastel Society 32nd International Open, American Art Company, Tacoma, WA 2018
- Jansen Art Center Spring Juried Show, Lynden, WA 2018
- Jansen Art Center Fall Juried Show, Lynden, WA 2017
- Pacific Northwest Pastel Society 31st International Open, American Art Company, Tacoma, WA 2017
- Jansen Art Center Spring Juried Show, Lynden, WA 2016
- Judges’ Choice Award 2nd Place, Best Blues, September 7, 2017